Employs 50 people, manufactures own product on site, distributes product and sub-contracts installation nationally.
Engineering workshop: predominantly welding and fabrication, drills, bending machines guillotines, grinders and cranes.
Paint-shop using paint containing Isocyanate, with PPE issues.
Despatch using machine handling equipment
Office workers using display screen equipment – computers.
Had sub contractors installing product needed to be aware of CDM regulations and implications.
- Sub-contracted window cleaner fell down his ladder and nearly died. Accident investigated by the HSE and found company safe systems could be improved
- Needed documented evidence of safe systems for customers (local and district council and associations e.g. CHAS)
- Had a consultant who was identifying problems but not helping with finding solutions
- Regulations concerning Isocyanates had to be complied with local authority (environment)
- Needed to understand CDM regulations and implications
- Improved safety management system so that it was accurate and tailored to business requirements
- Company fully aware of legal obligations, able to step by step improve systems, continually improving and educating / developing workforce
- Gathered documented evidence to help with answering customer questionnaires
- Implemented training as required
- Safety representatives made aware of their responsibilities
- Set up systems to monitor quantities of Isocyanates used and liaised with local authority
- Peace of mind for employer, now able to concentrate more on the business
- Acting as competent advisor